There seems to be a standing order when going to Fall Festivals and that my sweets, is devouring a Cinnamon Churro! Today, I'm bringing things closer to home with these Churro Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting! They are easy to make and will get you in the Fall mood for sure! When I think of a Cinnamon Churro, a Caramel Dip comes to mind. The use of a simple caramel drizzle seals the deal on these babies and you can use either a homemade caramel or a store bought one if you prefer. In making these today, I went with store bought. Whichever you decide to use, it's a crazy delicious cupcake nonetheless!
I made these cupcakes last year and they were so stinkin' good!! But as with the way things seem to go sometimes, I forgot to take pictures of them. This time I made sure to get some snaps in…just for you!
If you have a favorite Churro recipe to make them at home, by all means do it. I cheated and bought these Pillsbury Cinnamon Churro Bites at my local Sam's Club. They are super easy to make and bake in under 7 minutes! Plus, they come with a cinnamon sugar packet to make it even easier!
Each Churro is approximately 2.5" so I ended up cutting them in half for each cupcake and then took it a step further by first, drizzling some Hershey's Caramel Topping over each and then sprinkling a scant amount of cinnamon sugar on top. The crunch of the Churro plus the caramel-ly goodness just hits the spot!
If you're looking to feed a nice crowd, this recipe makes approximately 3 dozen cupcakes! Yeah, it'll feed your party! Just a side note on the Salted Caramel Frosting, if you like to pile it high, like I did on these, then it'd be safe to make a double batch of it. Annnnd, by way of reminder, the cupcake liners I use are these found here. They are made out of parchment paper which means, they will peel away leaving the cupcake behind for you to enjoy!
Cinnamon Churro Cupcakes
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix, Duncan Hines
- 1 cup Flour, all purpose
- 1 cup Sugar, granulated
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Cinnamon Dolce Liquid Coffee Creamer
- 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, room temp
- 3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Salted Caramel Liquid Coffee Creamer
- 1 pinch Salt
Cinnamon Churron Cupcakes
- Prepare cupcake pan with liners and preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, vanilla, oil, water and creamer. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly begin adding the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stop and scrape bowl. Continue mixing until lumps are no longer visible, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, cinnamon and salt until smooth.
- Add vanilla and slowly begin adding the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, stopping to scrape bowl after each addition.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly begin adding creamer. Start with 1 tbsp and if it's still too thick, add a little more at a time until desired consistency is obtained.
Cori - xoxo