We're on day five of #Choctoberfest and with the weather changing to cooler temps, gingerbread has been on my mind. Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie Cake Bars to be precise. A collision of two great flavor profiles…what else can a girl ask for?!
This post is sponsored by Devine Chocolates. I have received sample products for writing this post as a #Choctoberfest participant. All opinions and images are my very own.
These Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie Cake Bars were made using Devine Unsweetened Baking Chocolate that is 100% Cocoa! For those of you unfamiliar with this type of chocolate, it's not sweet. Like at all, as of course the term "unsweetened" indicates but when used in baking, it lends a deep, rich chocolate flavor that delights the palate!
Even the color is devine, just look at all those chopped up bits! An entire Devine Chocolate bar was used in this recipe and it paired beautifully with the spice of the gingerbread. But of course, everyone knows chocolate and spicy are best friends, right!?
Here's a tip for you, when using molasses (or something sticky) that needs to be measured out, spray your measuring cup with non stick spray and watch it all empty out like buttah! Notice how it poured out, leaving hardly anything in the cup. Nice, huh.
There's something about baking with dark chocolate that is gawgeous! It's like it's own version of confetti sprinkles, I think. Combining the chocolate bits with molasses and dark brown sugar moves me. Makes me want to bake all. day. long. While most go for the soft, chewy center, I'm more of corner kinda gal but the crispy edges will do just as good…like that cracked edge down there. Yeah, that's my melting point.
About Devine Chocolate
Divine Chocolate is the only Fairtrade chocolate company in the world that is owned by cocoa farmers is a blanket statement about who they are. They also happen to be a BCorp, Fairtrade, and Vegan Society Certified on some bars. And, all of their baking bars are vegan. With this kind of quality, it's easy to #MakeSomethingDevine and delicious at the same time! Plus, these chocolate bars are very reasonably priced so stocking up on them is no task at all!
Full of Devine Baking Chocolate and gingerbread spices, these bars are perfect to get your fall and holiday baking started!
- 1 box Spiced Cake Mix
- 17.9 oz Powdered Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp White Ground Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Allspice
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 sticks Unsalted Butter - room temperature
- 1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup Unsulphured Molasses
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 5.3 oz Devine 100% Cocoa Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar (chopped)
- Chop chocolate (entire bar) and set aside. Line a 9" x 13" baking dish with parchment paper. Measure out all ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Combine cake and cookie mix along with baking powder, salt, pepper, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. Mix thoroughly with a whisk and then mix in chopped chocolate. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, add vanilla and eggs, one at a time until well incorporated before adding the second egg. Stop and add molasses. Resume mixing on low for 3 minutes. Stop and scrape bowl and then mix another 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Slowly begin adding 1/3 of dry ingredients at time until all in, mixing until just combined. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Dough will be sticky but lightly sprinkle flour on fingertips and gently press dough evenly throughout baking dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy.
Cori - xoxo