There's a favorite candy that never lasts when it's in my home. It's quite a chocolate treat and for that reason, today's blog post is ALL about this unreal flavor combination! Chocolate Almond & Coconut Krispy Treats are a tasty twist in celebration of #Choctoberfest this week!
This post is sponsored by Barlean's. I have received sample products for writing this post as a #Choctoberfest participant. All opinions and images are my very own.
When you take your first bite, you'll notice three distinct levels of chocolate! Of course, there's also the coconut and almonds both within and on top of this treat but the main ingredient is the CHOCOLATE! Which is fitting considering it's #Choctoberfest - So YUM!!!! Chocolate Almond & Coconut Krispy Treats are little decadent portions that will satisfy your chocolate craving! In this recipe, I s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d my imagination and deviated from the traditional krispy treat making method.
For one thing, I swapped the butter for_ Barlean's Butter Flavored Coconut Oil. It's the perfect butter substitute with all the health benefits of coconut oil. It can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter or vegetable oils in baking. This will be a great addition to any of the delicious chocolate baking recipes you might have up your sleeve. And, I thank them for being a sponsor for #Choctoberfest this year 😃 Because of the pudding (YES!, there's a whole box in there!), the mixture might get a little tough to stir. So I highly recommend having a set of strong muscles around when it's time to stir the mixture. Like I did. I recruited the hubster for this step. In case you didn't already figure this out reading my blog, I'm pretty wimpy! 😉
The quantity this batch makes is totally up to you. I cut these into 2 x 2 squares and got about 16 out of the batch but really, it all depends on the size of pan you use and how big you cut the pieces. Either way, it's your call. And of course, don't forget to share these decadent little treats! I took some over to my favorite vet when I went to pick up my Basset Hound as a "Thank You for Being Awesome" gesture. Is there a certain someone you know of who might appreciate a sweet gift?
Krispy Treats topped with a layer of melted chocolate, toasted coconut and almonds make for a unique take on mom's traditional treat! These bites are sure to satisfy any chocoholic's craving!
- 3 tbsp Barlean's Butter Flavored Coconut Oil
- 10 oz Marshmallows
- 3.52 oz Chocolate Instant Pudding (I used Almond Joy)
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- 5 cup Chocolate Rice Krispy Cereal
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Prepare an 8 x 8" square pan by lining with parchment paper, making sure to leave enough of an overhang all around for easy removal * Set aside.
- In a small frying pan, toast almonds until light golden brown over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel to cool. Separate a small amount to sprinkle on top when done. Set aside.
- In same small frying pan, toast coconut flakes over medium low heat, stirring constantly. When light golden brown, remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel to cool. Separate a small amount to sprinkle on top when done. Set aside.
- In a cooking pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove pan from heat. Add pudding and stir well to combine. Add almonds and coconut and continue stirring.
- Add cereal and stir until well combined with marshmallow mix. Transfer prepared pan. Press down and distribute evenly.
- Melt chocolate chips according to package directions. Pour melted chocolate over cereal and smooth out evenly. Sprinkle remaining almonds and coconut on top of melted chocolate. Refrigerate about 20 minutes or until chocolate has firmed up.
- Remove cereal from pan and pull parchment away from sides. Cut into 16 squares or however you desire. Devour!
Lining a pan with parchment paper helps in two ways. First, it helps remove contents easily. Second, easy clean up! If you don't have parchment paper, butter bottom and side of your pan to help prevent sticking.
Don't forget to enter the giveaway here!
Want more #Choctoberfest recipes? Take a look at these fellow participating blogger posts to fuel your Chocolate addiction!
Cori - xoxo